Many public sector employees are wondering how the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will affect their organisation.
One thing you should know is that not complying with GDPR could impact your organisation financially. Fines applicable following a breach of the GDPR could cost public sector organisations €20m.
Is your public sector organisation ready for GDPR? We have a GDPR checklist that your organisation can tick off before it comes into force on 25 May 2018.
- Check if your current strategy complies with GDPR.
- Complete a gap analysis between your current strategy and the requirements of the GDPR.
- If required, set up an accountability framework for data protection compliance.
- Establish what needs to be done to ensure your operational set-up is ready once your new strategy has been put in place.
- If you are unsure how and where your data flows, double check.
- Make sure all current suppliers are GDPR compliant.
- Secure budget that will help your organisation to manage your GDPR compliance programme.
- Check all processes have data compliance and protection built in to them.
GDPR impact on the public sector
One thing that will change after GDPR is that more data will be subject to data protection laws.
Higher level protections that apply to sensitive personal data will need to be applied to genetic and biometric data.
Public sector organisations should keep in mind that existing consents may become invalid once GDPR comes into place. This means that your organisation may require new consents.
GDPR – Supplier Management
Your organisation is responsible and liable for data compliance and data protection.
Moving forward, an important thing for public sector organisations to remember is to choose trusted, accredited suppliers that will support your new, compliant GDPR strategy and that are themselves compliant.
Our Supplier Management software allows your organisation to engage with both new and existing suppliers, so you can start the conversation about GDPR before it comes into force.
Find out more about Supplier Management and how Delta eSourcing can help.
Would you like to find out more about Delta eSourcing? We offer a free live demo service – get in touch!