What is Cyber Essentials?
Cyber Essentials is a government-backed, industry-supported initiative to provide organisations within and supplying to the public sector with a way of proving that they have a basic level of cyber security controls in place. This initiative was undertaken for two main reasons:
- so companies and their owners understand the basic principles of cyber security
- to show customers, investors and others that those companies have taken basic precautions against cyber attacks
Recently, Cyber Essentials certification has become extremely important for buyers within the public sector too.
A number of high-profile cyber attacks that have occurred in recent years have demonstrated just how under-prepared even large organisations often are to deal with these threats. The WannaCry ransomware attack of May 2017 in particular showed just how exposed UK public sector bodies are to newer, more sophisticated cyber attacks – the NHS was the worst hit out of all the organisations targeted worldwide.
It has been predicted that such attacks will continue, with the head of the UK’s National Cyber Security Centre stating that a major cyber attack on the UK is a matter of “when, not if”.
It is essential that public sector organisations take the right precautions to protect themselves against cyber attack – which is where Cyber Essentials can help.
Benefits to your business
- Protects against over 80% of common cyber threats
- Certification supports your organisation in the public sector
- Cyber Essentials branding to showcase your certification
- Helps to get your organisation ready for GDPR
- Certification allows you to apply for public sector tenders requiring accreditation because they involve handling sensitive information or providing certain technical products and services.
- Identifying any areas in your organisations cyber security that need improvement
What does it cost
- Annual subscription prices start from £445.00 excl. VAT / year and includes:
- Access to the online self-assessment questionnaire
- Inclusive support and advice throughout application process
- No additional costs for retests or Gap Analysis
- Includes certificate and Cyber Essentials branding for your business
- Provides 12 months’ certification upon successful application
- Click here to get started with Cyber Essentials